Recently I've invested in a Fitness First - 4 month gym membership for around £150.
Unless I'm away I'll visit every single day, not to work out but to use the steam room.
You may be thinking "Mike, why pay to go to one of the most expensive gyms in the country with almost every single piece of equipment a gym would ever need yet only use the steam room???" to which I say "I like steam".
If you divide the £150 over 4 months you'll see I'm only paying about £1.25 a day which... still isn't really worth it for just the steam room and it would make a lot of sense to use some of the other apparatus the gym has to offer and, ya know... actually work out like maybe do what the gym's supposed to be for?
BUT, in a desperate attempt to justify my own laziness I will explain about all the benefits of the steam room in one post full of juicy condensed facts. The irony is that the gym shuts in 50 minutes and instead of going I'm writing a post about going, classic.
That's basically what it's like. However, although it's unisex I've never seen a female inside it.
- Helps respiratory problems, I suffer from asthma and recently I've had quite a bad cough. The steam inside the steam room adds moisture to your lungs, throat and nose which soothes them and makes it easier to breath.
- It flushes out your pours by making you sweat loads! This is the best way to clean your skin, it really helps get rid of acne too!
- Following on from the last point it is a great thing to do for contrast bathing, if you go in the steam room then come out and have a cold shower then it will narrow your blood vessels (steam room relaxes them) which gets rid of any inflammation and also it closes the pores in your skin (steam room opens and cleans them).
- It helps heal damaged muscle tissue, if I'm ever aching then I'll go in the steam room and it will sort me out straight away, a lot of top level athletes swear on it!
- It's a relaxing thing to do, a great place to go and think. Also it makes you come out so refreshed! It's a great thing to do at the start of the day but at the same time it can be good to do just before sleep too!
- If someone opens or closes the door on the steam room it will make loads of tiny droplets of steaming hot water drop from the ceiling, it stings.
- If you stay in for too long you will probably shrivel up and die, or something.